Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ictus

"You can hear through your connective tissues."  

She says this to me as she prepares to leave, having spent the day in my house.  We spent hours talking tech, swapping equipment, stories.  I gave her some of my favorite sensor material (a lovely stretch band) and she gave me this thought.  "You can hear through your connective tissues."  

I had contemplated suspension for a full year and a half at this point.  I'd been training, trying to get my body in 100% perfect shape for it (running, fasting, running, climbing, hiking, meditating) but one night I looked at a picture of it and thought "No. chance. in . hell."  Then she had to come along, giving me this tasty morsel of idea.  I could listen through the tissue that connects my skin to my muscle.  It was that point, that exact moment in time, when my art, my spirituality and my lifestyle collided to the point that they would eventually have to become inseparable.  

How I got into the idea of suspension is a vastly different story, one of broken hearts and betrayal, one that is so long and convoluted it isn't even worth mentioning any more, except to say it happened, and, in training to do this I found a way out of the pain and grief that I had. Spending two years exercising, training, getting ready to go up, the chance came, and I am taking it.  First we find out if I can take it, then, then we find out if I am resonant.  If I am, if I can get my bones, my flesh, my muscle to sing, then, then we will have something beautiful.  Something complete.   

No comments: