Monday, September 22, 2008

Was noch?

So, what is next?  

Well, the test run was a success.  I plan on waiting two months (at least) until my next pull or suspension, as I need to process the event psychologically and physically.  I also need to work on the technical aspects of the sound devices.  The next run will be with piano string (I have some wonderful bass range piano wire on hand from an old Steinway just for this purpose).  I need to do some reevaluation of the project itself and do a bit more actual planning.  Now that I know I can do it, I need to really sit down and make sure everything is possible, and everything is go.  I am also going to be finding a good 'ground crew', so I'm going to have to interview people, talk with them, work out the details, as well as talk with a few medical personell.  

In the meantime, what will be the fate of this blog?  It will continue, as the overall project itself, the continual evaluation, construction and questioning of each aspect of my art, life and spiritual practice will not end simply because I am in a period of waiting and planning.  In some ways, it is the fact that I must work so slowly, so meticulously, that the suspension project is so astounding.  I can't just throw this project together.  Each piece must be exactly in place and ready to go at the exact right time, or it will not come together at all.  This is not my usual working practice, to be sure (though I have a fairly serious obsessive-compulsive disorder, my performance practice does not).  So I will plan, evaluate, procure equipment, test equipment (with the exception of the hooks, of course.  Those can only be tested every few weeks or so as I feel as though I should let my body rest between sessions).  

This week I'll post a bit about the experience, little musings and occasional memories from the event itself.  Even looking through the posts I made last week, I've noticed that my suppositions are not entirely correct, and that I have many different thoughts now.  

I think the most important is that pain is simply not a factor in this project (thankfully).  I mean, yeah, it exists, but there is no pain that is really worth mentioning.  Secondly, the outlook on the body is very different than I thought it might be, which is delightful.  There is more, but I am still processing the event.  Oh yeah, that is the other thing.  The event itself was profound, and really, extremely, important.  Unlike a lot of ritual stuff, and much more like performance, the event itself was important- it was the most important thing.  Unlike a lot of rituals that have rote learned actions that have vague outcomes, a suspension is more like performing in that you prep, practice, educate and evaluate and then when the time comes, there is instantaneous gratification for what you do.  It is so beautiful.

No comments: