Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Critical Listening Evening.

Duo(Duet) project is going well.  We managed to try some stuff last week that may or may not be 'good' but it was fun to make and lots of fun to listen to.  Commodification of an improvisatory practice is a bit, well, difficult.  How do you take something that is supposed to be about the moment and extend it into a 'snapshot' and give it a concrete identity?

Recording is a lie.  I looked at the sound file while listening (bad idea) and thought "Oh, I can cut that out, nip here, cut there" and voilá!*  we have a product worth keeping.  Of course, with careful editing I am sure we can make this a great 'product'.  I hate commodification.  I hate music that is nothing but lies, unless, of course, the point is to be a lie.   Perhaps that is the clue I am to have here?  It is the point to be a lie.  "when we lie, we lie together all the time" (Anything box... maybe they meant lay in bed and not lie as in this is all a lie. Whatever.  I have never been good at narrative).   The point in all of this being, maybe we are supposed to lie in this project/product.  Why not lie?

Maybe it will be like  my show this coming Friday, where I will be "glitzed out" and in my show clothes.  Ah... show clothes.  This year, there will be a feature of some kind of boot (yes, yes,  typical) and who knows what else.  I promise a club pix spectacular, though I can't beat last years "Wife beater suprise".  Me in anything showy is a lie.  I do love a good lie.  

Or maybe I should just call it fictional narrative?  

*in honor of you, Mr. Roads, I do that for you...

No comments: